Sunday, August 22, 2010

The New Nazarites

A number of years ago there was a movement of the Spirit in which many young people took the vow of a nazarite. A nazarite is one who has decided to set himself (or herself) apart for God. You can read the details of an Old Testament nazarite in Numbers chapter six. I was one of those young men. For 18 months I didn't cut my hair, drink alcohol, or consume anything from the grape. During this period of time I devoted myself to the call of revival at Cal State Fullerton. It was an amazing time of zeal, passion, and fire for the Kingdom of Heaven. Through various circumstances I felt led to end that vow and to take a step back from that particular assignment.

Recently I have been feeling the stirrings of the nazarite once again. This time it is going to look different but the idea of consecration is the same. I have decided to go to Sacramento on Labor Day weekend to renew my vows of consecration. Thousands of others will be doing the same in the place of the sacrament that weekend. But this time it will be different. It will not be accompanied (for myself that is) with an outer sign as before. It will merely be a lifestyle of consecration.

The nazarites of old were voices crying out in the wilderness. They exemplified the spirits of Samson and Elijah- they called a generation back to God. They lived their lives in radical obedience. There is a new company of nazarites arising in this hour. They will live their lives with the same kind of radical obedience as the long-haired ones. They will have the same passion and zeal for purity as those who paved the way. But they will be voices within the culture. They will live in the world but not of it. They will be as Daniel of old. Daniel adopted the language, dress, and culture of the Chaldeans. But he was still that voice of consecration.

These are the new Nazarites! They will take their stand for purity wherever they are. They will arise from the ranks of business, entertainment, fashion, politics, government, and education. They will devote their lives to seeing the Kingdom of Heaven be made manifest. They will take their stand against injustice and give their lives in intercession. I have chosen to respond to this call. I have decided to place my life on the altar of surrender. It was a choice I made some time ago but it is a vow that I am renewing at this time. What is the Lord calling you to do?

No comments: