Friday, October 2, 2009

Modes of Fasting

Recently a lot of people in my church have been fasting. God has laid upon our hearts to do various kinds of fasts for various reasons. I will often have people ask me questions about how to fast or what to fast. It can be funny when they ask if something is ok or not. Fasting is an individual choice before God. We are not meant to be religious about it or worry about what others will think. This is a season of breakthroughs and many are choosing fasting as a mechanism to realize those breakthroughs. For this reason I decided to share some common fasts and my tips/experiences with them.

Water fast- Once my pastor recommended to a woman that she go on a water fast. After three days she told him that it was so easy. He was rather surprised that she found it easy and she told him that she normally didn't even drink water, mostly just soda, so giving it up wasn't much of a sacrifice. Contrary to this woman's understanding a water fast is when you abstain from everything except water. I have done it a couple of times and the clarity and focus that you receive is incredible. Most of the time this is what scripture refers to when it comes to fasting.

Juice- Because of our fast paced American lifestyle it is often hard to do a water fast and still carry out our daily activities. For this reason juice is awesome. However you will often get more hungry than with water only. I think a water fast is easier and better (for myself personally) than a juice fast unless I am working or studying. Most people recommend that you stick to real fruit juice. Sometimes I will supplement with a little bit of protein powder if I am doing it for more than a day or two.

Liquid/blended beverages: I have done this once or twice. The first time was for almost a week as I was interceding for someone who was going through a rough time. Abstaining from solid food was a sacrifice and the lack of food filling my belly reminded me to pray for her. I was still able to function at 100% (I had a heavy school and ministry load at the time) with protein shakes and smoothies.

Abstaining from a particular type of food: This can be effective if done for longer periods of time. I feel that the less you give up the longer the fast has to be. For instance giving up sweets for a day isn't much of a sacrifice. I often go a day or longer without sweets. But when I gave them up for 40 days I saw an impact. Common things to fast is meat, sweets, a favorite drink or snack, etc.

Daniel fast: Different people tailor this differently but in my opinion a true Daniel fast is eating only fruits and vegetables. This means no animal products, grains, sugar, etc. Only fruits and vegetables- preferably in their non-processed forms. Some people believe raw.

Vegan fast- I've done no meat before for a week (which was a major sacrifice but not too hard). But vegan is quite hard for me. I like it as it is not as restrictive as a Daniel fast- you can eat grains, etc. I am quite skinny and wouldn't be able to go too long on a Daniel fast without adverse reactions. But a vegan fast enables me to get most of the calories that I need. Vegan is abstaining from all animal products: meat, dairy, and eggs. I'm actually nearing the end of 40 days right now. I have lost weight as it is hard to substitute for all of the dairy calories but I must say that it can be effective.

This is not an exhaustive guide but only some of my own experiences. Use Google to find out more information or leave a comment with any of your questions. I look forward to the discussions that will follow.

Ultimately fasting is between you and God. Do not allow anyone else to contradict what He has told you. My first fast was a two day juice fast, people told me I was crazy and shouldn't do it, but I knew that God was directing me. Allow God to direct you when, how long, and what to fast. I won't fast unless I believe that He is telling me to do it. I've seen problems when people fast out of religious reasons. But I do know that God is calling many of us to lifestyles of prayer and fasting. May our lives reflect a heart of surrender as we serve Him before the throne.

No comments: