Monday, August 13, 2012

Digging Your Own Well

In the prophetic movement we often talk about re-digging the ancient wells. Lou Engle even wrote a book about it. We often will visit sites where God moved powerfully in the past so that we might receive from what was there. Personally, I have prayed at most of the major sites of revival within Southern California which represents some of the greatest moves of God during the 20th century. As I prayed at those sites, as many others have done as well, I have asked for the blessing that was upon those revivals to be released upon my generation as well. This is powerful and must be done. I spend a sizable chunk of my intercession re-digging those wells. But in this past week I received the revelation that we can revisit our own wells.

The Lord sent me on a prayer assignment to San Diego this last week. While on my way down there God reminded me  that, ten years ago, I had led my first person to Christ at Mission Beach. He showed me that during my teen years I had a zeal, courage, and passion that the enemy tried to steal from me but I have gotten back in the past few years. He then said that there was a well that I had dug when I led that man to Christ and that I was to revisit it. I went to Mission Beach and stood where I had led that man to Christ and prayed for that zeal and passion for souls to be re-ignited in my heart. I will admit, that out of all of the five-fold ministry, evangelism is the one that I move in the least. I prayed for a movement of signs and wonders to be ignited in the Church that would sweep up the coast of California that would result in a great harvest of souls. This was because I had revisited my own well.

We dig wells all the time. Some are for ourselves- others are for those who will come after us. Earlier this week I tweeted out the following: What I do today is so that my future children may reap the benefits and blessing within their lifetimes. We must have a mindset of eternity while we are living this life. We are building a foundation for future generations. I don't do what I do for just myself. I fight so that my children will be able to walk in greater glory. A week or two ago God showed me how my firstborn son is going to move in signs and wonders. This has motivated me to chase after greater signs and wonders in my own life. It has been prophesied over me- I know that I have been called to do so. But I have been content to wait for them to show up in a future season. But I can't be content with what I have now. For I know that whatever breakthrough I have in my own life will be passed on to my children. The blessings that I release through my own struggle will be transferred to my own children so that they won't have to contend as I have done. If my future son is to move in great signs and wonders to demonstrate God's love- then I must contend for those signs and wonders to be released within my generation.

Peter walked in great signs and wonders because his spiritual father (Jesus) had contended for them when He walked this earth. Paul moved in a wisdom anointing because his spiritual father (Gamaliel) had walked in it. Elisha had a powerful ministry because of Elijah's faithfulness. Subsequent generations move in greater anointings if they honor the labor of the past generations. I can look at most of my giftings and anointings and point to the parent, grandparent, or great-grandparent who walked in that same gift.

I charge you to be faithful to what God has given you. Walk in the power of the Lord. Build an inheritance for your children's children. Honor the work of the past generations within your own family and within the larger family of God. As you do so you will dig your own wells. Don't abandon the wells that you have dug but remember them so that you may revisit them and be refreshed. Some will be for yourself- others are for the next generation. But this is a time and a season of both uncorking the ancient wells and digging fresh ones. Let the glory of God be released in a fullness that has never be seen before.

No comments: