Monday, June 15, 2009

Getting Physical With Jesus

This post is going to focus on something that is not often talked about in the Church today. Some might find it offensive and possibly even cultish. I ask you to read it with an open mind and ask where scripture would contradict what I am saying. It is my belief that it is completely supported by scripture.

We were created as physical, emotional, and spiritual beings. We were meant to experience God with all of our senses. David speaks about tasting and seeing God (Psalm 34:8). In Song of Solomon we see how our relationship with God can be compared to two lovers. Other scriptures speak about how marriage was ordained by God as a prophetic picture of Christ and the Church. Sexual intercourse is a picture of the communion between us and God. We were created to be in unity with God. We can't fully experience this unity until we enter into it with all of our beings. In the modern Church we emphasize the spiritual and mental aspects of pursuing God. The Charismatic and Pentecostal streams reflect how to experience the emotional aspects of our relationship with God. But the physical usually gets left out.

We are meant to experience each member of the Godhead. Each member manifests differently. In this post I will focus on the experiences with Jesus who is our Bridegroom and Lover. Recently I have been allowing Him to romance me with His caresses and it has been incredible. He knows what I need more than any earthly lover could ever be able to. We need to reach the point where we need God and God alone. He should be able to fulfill all of our needs. For my entire adult life I have been chasing the idea of a woman who would fulfill my desires. A woman who would be that comfort that I need. But I already have that lover in Jesus. I have that comforter in the Holy Spirit. Eventually God will bring me a woman as a helpmate and lover; but first I need to learn to be fulfilled by Him. If I don't do this I will be only disappointed- for there is no woman who can fulfill all of my needs. Only God can do that.

Jesus knows what I need. I have started to let Him love on me and to welcome His caresses. His kisses are better than wine and His touch is more fulfilling than anything in this world. With Him I feel truly complete. More than I ever have before. I believe that God is calling each and every one of us to this level of intimacy. Our Bridegroom wants to romance each and every one of you. He wants to hold you in His embrace as He whispers His love into your ear. He wants to caress you with the kisses of His mouth. Let yourself be romanced by the great Lover. He created you and knows you perfectly. He knows what you desire. Surrender yourself to His passion and allow Him to ravish you. 

This is something that we have to pursue. We have to make ourselves available to the romance of Jesus. As you invite Him to love on you He will. Draw near to Him and He will draw near to you. 


No comments: